I think the effort thing is really a non issue, what difference does
it make to acknowledge that some effort is involved in the practice,
compared to thinking type meditations it is virtually effortless. To
me the real gist of what Vaj seems to be saying in most of his posts
regarding the TM practice is that upon studying in depth the
knowledge that TM is thought to have arisen from, he has discovered
that the basic TM practice as we know it is incomplete and really
more of a first level kind of introductory practice. And that the
whole "knowledge package" presented by MMY is kind of cobbled
together from assorted sources and presented as the whole picture
while in reality it is just neo-vedic mumbo jumbo with the main
purpose of just placating psuedo seekers with a promise of
effortless spiritual growth.

------Vaj is compassionately just trying to educate you peeps. You see, most of you have been practicing in caves even though it didn't seem like it.  Many of you are like WASPS who have never seen a black person and consequently think that they're space aliens. With time you might come to respect that he's showing that a larger world exists. If his efforts free your minds from any ignorance, blindness or superstition then he's doing the job, in part, of liberating your mindstreams from ignorance. That's a great gift. Happy Birthday.