Repost of my original email which did not appear on FFL:

billy jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:49:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: billy jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Vyaasa's comment on II 30
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com

  T.S. Rukmani's translation of Vyasa's comment on YS II.30 -

  brahmacaryaM guptendriyasyopasthasya samyamaaH
  "continence is the control of the hidden sense-organ of generation"

  Where she apparently takes gupta = (guha/guhya) secret or hidden
  indra/indriya = power/sense-power (and its physical organ)

  Her translation of the vivarana of Shankara on this passage of Vyasa:

  brahmacaryam ... samyamah, the control of the other organ of generation of
purusa which is hidden, with the absence of activity of the mind, words, etc.,
which has the result of not observing brahmacarya.

  Rukmani observes:

  Thus brahmacarya is not just celibacy but extends to even speech and mental
activity pertaining to lack of sex control.

  She also has the following note at the bottom of the page (note 9):
  * instead of 'gupendriyasyopasthasya ..." the vivaranakara has
"upasthendriyasya" *

  Hope this helps.

  Quoted from Yogasutrabhasyvivarana of Shankara by T.S. Rukmani
  Vol. I, (Samadhipada, Sadhanapada) of a two volume set
  Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2001

  emptybill

cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          YS II 30:

ahiMsaasatyaasteyabrahmacharyaaparigrahaa yamaaH

(ahimsaa-satya-asteya-brahmacarya-aparigrahaaH; yamaaH)

Vyaasa's comment on brahmacarya (from a DN text):

brahmacaryaM guptendiyasyopasthasya saMyamaH.

(There is apparently one typo in "guptendiya". It should
prolly read "guptendriya" which would be sandhi for
"gupta + indriya", cf. "karmendriya" < "karma + indriya";
thus, without sandhi that would be:
brahmacaryam; gupta + indriyasya + upasthasya saMyamaH).

I think some of you guys have a translation of Vyaasa's commentary.
I'd like to know how the above passage is translated in it.

Bhojadeva's comment is much more laconic:

brahmacaryam upasthasaMyamaH.

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.