--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emptybill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>
> However, I like it because it reinforces the recognition
> that these Sanskrit words (read Arabic for "Houri") are
> provisional terms, not necessarily fit yet to be
> reified into English.
>
> I understand how you, as an editor, might find this mode of
> presentation to be contra-instinctual for a trained English
> reader. However, rather than just dismissing it, tell me why
> you might find it confusing or irritating.

Well, actually, I did. I said I didn't think it
was called for, i.e., there was no good reason
*for* doing it in an informal forum like this,
where whether these terms are fit yet to be
reified into English isn't at issue, and it made
the text more difficult to read.

As an editor, I think anything about the technical
details of a piece of writing that causes the
reader to go "Huh?" even for a split second
inhibits communication of the *content* of the
writing; it disturbs the flow and distracts the
reader's attention.

No biggie, and I really wasn't objecting to
your use of the hyphens so much as I was curious
to know why you were using them.