--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Card,
>
> I am always so impressed with your scholarship.  Not knowing hardly
> anything at all, I would be easy to impress, but I do think you're
> purdy good at Sanskrit.
>
> That said, how's 'bout you also include a "purport" section after
you
> translate.  I'd like to see how you sum up, "in American" the
meaning
> of the passages.
>
> Edg

Thanks, but I'm actually not very good at translating Sanskrit,
mainly because my vocabulary is so deplorably scarce. It's kinda
ironic that even my vocabulary in my native language (Finnish) is IMO
rather limited. I dare to say I'm quite good at analyzing
linguistic structures, though. That's a great asset in case
of languages like Sanskrit, with lots of inflections, and stuff.

OTOH, one thing that makes Classical Sanskrit rather demanding is the
use of sometimes huge compound words. Unless you know what type
of compound the writer has had in mind, it's often next
to impossible to decide what s/he's "up to", especially if
one is not that familiar with the subject matter. The syntactic
hierarchy "inside" a compound can in many cases be anybody's guess,
so to speak. That's how I feel, at least.