In a message dated 10/16/07 12:06:21 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>From my novice perspective, it seems like  solar is the way to go. Cover an
area half the size of California (i.e., all  the rooftops in America) with
solar panels and you supply all the nation’s  energy needs. If this were to be
undertaken, the ramped up research and  economies of scale would make it a lot
cheaper than it first  appears.

Rick, from what I know about photovoltaic electricity, we aren't quite  there
with the technology. I know a person that sells solar panels and he
outfitted his house with them and he told me he can run some lights and small
appliances on them but something major like an air conditioning system is out
of  the
question. As the British Petroleum commercials say *there won't be one
solution, but many*. While one solution may not be the answer to all the
problems,
it may have it's niche in the big picture, even if only for a  relatively
short period of time while technology advances. Who knows where  technology
will
be twenty  or fifty years from now. Necassity is the mother  of invention.