--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question is, where do the TM bija mantras come from?

According to Swami Yogananda from the vibrations of the spinal chakras
which, incidentally also make up the Sanskrit (Devanagari) alphabet.
Fifty petals or vibratory sounds in the lower 6 chakras and 50X20 in
the seventh or the 1000 petaled lotus/Sahasrara.

> From Swami Brahmanand Saraswati? From a book? Did the
> Marshy just make up some non-sense gibberish and then
> call them bijas? If he got them from his teacher, the
> question becomes, where did the Marshy's teacher get
> the bija mantras? Was Brahmmanand a tantric?

Good questions, I've heard it hear they are found in the Upanishads.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe01/sbe01239.htm

> What, exactly, is a bija mantra anyway?

A vibratory sound that has its source in the spinal chakras and helps
to form the Sanskrit Alphabet, (simplified).

> Do bija mantras always have to be recieved in one-on-one
> initiation from a genuine tantric guru?

No, since MMY is not a tantric guru and the mantras appear to work! We
do know however TM is not a Diksha Initiation since this initiation
requires the student to be advanced enough to receive actual God
communion from his enlightened (Sat-guru) Guru.  MMY is not a personal
Guru. A chela not ready for Diksha would injure himself from the power
ful vibrations of God Consciousness hence he would NOT be Initiated!

> Are bija mantras
> effective if you find them in a book?

Probably.

> Why all the secrecy about bija mantras?

I don't know why!

According to whoeverpostedthis they're in the Upanishads!?!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe01/sbe01239.htm