--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "boo_lives" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel" <babajii_99@>
> wrote:
> >
> >  I was noticing Chris Mathews today, on 'Hardball',
> > Refering to: 'The coming war with Iran'.
> > He used to work for Carter, and Peace Corps...
> > So, I don't know whether he's being sacarastic, or what?
> > So, there is a struggle now, with those who want to bomb
> > Iran, and those who want to go a different way.
>
> Matthews' more democratic days are long over - he was a solid
> bush and iraq war supporter until you had to be idiot to continue
> supporting, and will support war with iran if that is what his
> bosses at GE want.

Nobody loathes Chris Matthews more than I do.
He's always had a man-crush on Bush for some
unfathomable reason, but he was, in fact,
outspoken against the Iraq war from the
beginning, one of the very few broadcasters who
were. I'd be flabbergasted if he supported a
war now with Iran.

For his opposition to the Iraq war, see this
interview with Salon.com from February 2003
(before the invasion):

http://tinyurl.com/34syne

(You'll need to watch a brief ad unless you're a
subscriber.)

Money quote:

"And on the war, I think my numbers would be a lot higher
if I were out there beating the drum for this war. In fact,
I don't think it, I know it. But I can't be for the war. I
can't find a reason to be for this war. I've looked, and I
can't, so Im not. The people who are backing this war are
more interested in their own ideology than what's good for
the country. It's not about America. Which is scary."

In other parts of the interview, he nails
the reasons why it was a bad idea; he foresaw
them before most people did. And everything he
predicted has come to pass.

As repellent a personality as he is, you have
to give him credit for his stance on the war.