It depends on the individual.  There are plenty of people subscribed
here who will engage in an honest exchange of ideas but they may not be
posting at the moment.  I think a number of people were also turned off
by a posting limit and haven't been back since.  And then there is that
bunch who want to engage in arm wrestling.  I've always taken it as a
sign of insecurity.  I also find this on some tech forums I'm on as
people want to advertise their expertise even if it is only the
"armchair" variety.

And then because of search engines "exactitude" has become a disease on
the web.  Some people want your facts to be exactly right on with no
causal or "off the top of your head" information permitted.  That is a
little insane I think and can make communication tedious.