> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gullible fool <fflmod@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I know only one of them, because he's from my area. ,
> > > Believe it or not, he has a Harvard law degree.
> > >
> > > "You come in here with a skullful of mush...I train
> > > your mind." What would be the TMO version of this
> > > line?
> >
> > How about "we turn your mind into a skull full of mush and
> > give you a crown to show the job is finished"
> >
> > I can't bear to be in the same room as the Maharishi channel
> > anymore in case someone I know sees me and thinks I approve.
> >
> > Some might think that's an overreaction but I'm hardly alone.
> > Here's a funny story; On one of the last residential courses
> > in England a couple who had just learned to meditate turned
> > up for their first taste of rounding, they sat down to dinner
> > and had apparently had a nice time talking to the rest of the
> > CP's. Then they met the teacher running the course who
> > explained what they were going to be doing, gave them there
> > program etc. After that they sat down to the first meeting
> > of the weekend where upon the teacher put on a tape of King
> > Tony espousing his infinite wisdoms at which point the new
> > couple looked at each other, stood up, walked out of the
> > room, packed their bags and left, never to be seen again.
> >
> > How does the TMO get it so wrong? And without even realising
> > that most people think the "raja" concept absurdly cultish.
> > Are they on a mission to alienate all but the most devout?
>
> I honestly think it's a factor of "not getting
> out much."
>
> Seriously. You've got a movement that used to
> *preach* "Meditate a few minutes morning and
> evening and then engage in vigorous activity"
> and "TM is for householders, not recluses."
> But then what did they do, in all the inner
> circles of that movement? They started living
> like recluses.
>
> Think about it. The people who become Rajas,
> what are their lifestyles like? Do they ever
> even *talk* to someone who doesn't do TM,
> except to hit them up for money? Do they ever
> get out and about in the towns they live in?
> And, most important, do they ever interact with
> normal people in the world, and get some feed-
> back from them that *their* lifestyle is any-
> thing *but* normal?
>
> I don't think they do. I would imagine that
> there are a few genuinely inspired Rajas who,
> as Jim suggests, are in it for the karma yoga,
> and who get out and interact in the world in
> an attempt to try to help that world. But I
> would also guess that there really are only
> a handful of them.
>
> The rest strike me as poseurs who are in it
> to impress the people around them. ALL of the
> people around them do TM, and basically worship
> Maharishi, and so these guys want to get some
> "proximity worship" going towards themselves
> by being able to dress up in funny costumes
> [...]

You're right, of course. I guess every group that becomes isolated
from the everyday world turns a bit weird, throw soemone who is
considered to "speak with the voice of nature" into the mix and it's
a recipe for... well we know the rest.

In my time in the TMO I worked with the chap who is now the Euro-
raja, he is a really nice guy, very devoted and not at all trying to
be a "big fish" I'm happy to say. I had a lot of respect for him, and
still do as it goes, he's doing what he wants. I admire people who
devote their lives to their favourite cause. I just think it's all
gone wrong, did you read the Belgium declaration Shemp posted? That's
the group I joined, but I doubt it was ever actually like that.