On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Rick Archer wrote:

So are the Laws of Manu. Maharishi once gave me the project of correlating the scientific charts on TM with the Laws of Manu. They prescribe many gruesome punishments for various sins. If you sleep with your teacher’s wife, you have to cut off your genitals and walk to the southwest, holding them in your hands, until you bleed to death. Other punishments include being shaven with the urine of an ass, making young people who have sex out of wedlock lie on a bed of red-hot iron, and this little gem: "molten lead has to be poured into the ears of those 'low born' who dare to hear the recital of the written word"

I can’t imagine anyone “spontaneously” doing any of these things based on their level of consciousness.
And of course you're right on this. That's why they're called "Duty Scriptures" (dharma-shastras), they prescribe the duties of certain varnas of people.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will believe just because it is uttered by someone dressed as a yogi.