--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I just heard Paul Davies, the author of the op-ed
> piece, interviewed on NPR the other day. He's a
> philosopher-scientist with some very subtle reasoning
> skills. I'm planning to pick-up his book: The Cosmic
> Jackpot: (subtitle here).

Subtitle: "Why Our Universe Is Just Right for Life."

Which may be a little misleading, since it seems that
the whole point of the book is that we can't *tell*
why.

One reader review quotes the last paragraph of the book:

"So, how come existence? At the end of the day, all the approaches I
have discussed are likely to prove unsatisfactory. In fact, in
reviewing them they all seem to me to be either ridiculous or
hopelessly inadequate: a unique universe that just happens to permit
life by a fluke; a stupendous number of alternative parallel
universes that exist for no reason; a preexisting God who is somehow
self-explanatory; or a self-creating, self-explaining, self-
understanding universe-with observers, entailing backward causation
and teleology. Perhaps we have reached a fundamental impasse dictated
by the limitations of the human intellect."

Amazon page:
http://tinyurl.com/yuz3e3