Yes, I've come to the conclusion that you're right.  It seems to be an
automatic knee-jerk response.  This is especially obvious when it comes to
matters of opinion--she does automatically assume that if you don't share her
opinion, you must be stupid.  She says she grew up in an academic environment.
Well, there are two things about such an environment that haven't sunk in.  1)
She hasn't learned that a variety of views (even opposing views) can be equally
valid.  2) Academics, in the U.S. at least, don't treat another with such utter
lack of respect for not sharing the same opinion you hold at the moment.  In
Germany that's a little different.  You do find a lot of Judy's. a

TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               --- In
FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > When I quoted G. Spencer Brown (British mathematician)
 > not read the thing.

 Angela, you still haven't gotten it yet.
 Judy assumes the worst she can imagine
 about anyone she feels like putting down.
 In your case and my case, she assumed that
 we never read the article in question. That,
 and that we are stupid and SO much less
 intellectually-endowed than her, of course. :-)

 In my case, I plowed my way through it even
 despite a complete disinterest in the subject
 matter. To me, *both* science and religion
 are on a par -- puny human beings trying to
 convince themselves and others that they've
 got things figured out. BORING.

 You're just an easy target, that's all. In
 a few days it'll be Delia (as it has been in
 the past). Or Sal. Or Curtis. Or anyone else
 who commits the Ultimate Sin of Not Taking
 Judy Seriously. Get used to it.

 As Curtis said about Jim, it's not about you.
 It's about a feeling of insecurity and the
 compulsion to "elevate" her image by "lowering"
 the image of others in her eyes.

 It's not personal. You're just the target du
 jour.