> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Good post which I don't really have time to reply properly
> > > to, but I would say that your point that new-agers are "gullible
> > > and trusting" and have let go of their critical faculties applies
> > > when they are talking about such things as astrology, psychics,
> > > healers and saints. I don't think it extends to the political
> > > world where new-agers (at least the ones I know)
> >
> > That seems to imply a conscious choice "I'll be gullible about
> > astrology, but I will be really skeptical when it comes to
> > politics".
>
> Not at all. What New Agers are skeptical about
> is what they can see in front of their noses;
> what they're gullible about is what we don't or
> cannot know.

Not at all. :)

The point is that the facade of some nicely packaged political or
social solutions, is not obvious, its not something most do or can
know up front. Pretty packaging for TMO initiatives, Pretty packaging
for political platforms, pretty packaging of astrology. "Theya are ALL
so pretty!" It all sounds nice. And all are, or can be absorbed, and
accepted gullibly -- for those who have high(er) degrees of the 4-5
tendencies that I enumerated.

As I said, i think the gullible are the last to know they are
gullible. They cannot turn it on or off. IMO, the point is well
demonstrated here when you read some wide-eyed laudations of this or
that candidate. Some such drip with gullibility, IMO. For some, the
gullies, I don't see rigorous analysis or natural skepticism getting
cranked up when political ideas and platforms are put under their
nose.  YMMV.

"Gullies" is an interesting descriptor. Gullies get really inspired by
"Seagull" stories -- and are prone to pledge substantial sums "for a
permanent residence for our king here in FF" based on such stories.
Only to go, a few months later, "Gee whiz, they pulled the wool over
our eyes AGAIN. Oh well, I am sure they won't do THAT again. La de Da!
Life is Bliss". And then in the next breath go on to talk about their
favorite political candidate and how the candidate is so in tune wit
the laws of nature and has SUCH a good Jyotish chart -- they are sure
to be the next president.

For such gullies, I simply don't see rigorous analysis or natural