--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Good post which I don't really have time to reply properly to, but I
> would say that your point that new-agers are "gullible and trusting"
> and have let go of their critical faculties applies when they are
> talking about such things as astrology, psychics, healers and saints.
> I don't think it extends to the political world where new-agers (at
> least the ones I know)

That seems to imply a conscious choice "I'll be gullible about
astrology, but I will be really skeptical when it comes to politics".
I don't think peoples minds work that way. The gullible are the last
to know it. Did you fell gullible when you were deep in the TMO?

I think people grow out of gullibility, but at anyone time, they are
pretty equally gullible or rationally skeptical about the whole
spectrum that cross their plate.

> tend to be rather savvy, indeed, quite
> hard-nosed, about the forces of greed and lust for power that drive
> the world.

"Pretty savvy" is pretty relative. Some conspiracy thinkers may think
they are very savvy when they have simply been duped again by some
grand thery that they don't or can't analyze deeply and "harshly".

> New agers tend to support environmental causes,

Which I do to from my angle. But I see many in environmental groups
who are quite golly gee gullible. Environmental groups are not the
bastion of rational thinking IME. An ca nbe quite susceptible to
groupthink.(which should be #5 on the new age list)

> which are
> largely of the left, and I would guess that if asked about it they
> would be in favor of maintaining civil liberties and exercising
> diplomacy rather than force in international affairs.

While I am not a leftist, I strongly believe in civil liberties,
diplomacy, and non-violence -- as an ideal. And I see a lot of naivety
on the part of some / many loose-thinking leftists.

>I simply cannot
> see new-agers supporting any emerging fascist movement, however
> disguised that movement might be.

Well, we may be defiing terms differently, but look at the wildly
cheering crowds in the Domes. Who have much of their lives dictated by
a group or leader, and they face severe recriminations if they fall
out of line. I would not call that fascist -- which is a very laoded
term, but i would call it some big steps towards totalitarianism.

> They are more MoveOn.org and Michael
> Moore types than proto-fascist enablers.

The funny thing about enablers is they are not always aware of it.

>The emerging fascists, it
> seems to me, are the Christians, the right-wing, the people who are
> willing to curtail civil liberties in the name of an invented war on
> terrorism, which is a smallish threat made into a big one by those who
> seek to profit from it in ways financial and ideological.

I have no argument that the religious fundamentalists have also taken
big steps towards a totalitarian lifestyle and society. To me. there
are gullible, non-rational people on many sides of many fences.

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> > >
> > > This idea that New Age tendencies in the US are likely to lead to
> > > fascism (even though you seem here to be backing off from saying
this)
> > > still strikes me as completely wrong. On the contrary, I think New
> > > Agers are the least likely to embrace such a view and in fact
stand as
> > > a bulwark against it. New Agers support people like Kucinich and
> > > Obama, not the proto-fascists that are lining up for the
Republicans.