> > On Dec 5, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Bhairitu wrote:
> >
> > > Vaj wrote:
> > >
> > > Dying in the dark night? Samadhi is death, and I'm sure
> > > more than a few here have experienced this, but not
> > > everyone has long, drawn out "dark nights".
> >
> > And there's nothing more boring on this list than speculations
> > about enlightenment. :D
>
> Yes I know....BUT please let me tell you about mine! :-)

This strikes me as more of a real insight than
it is a snippy remark. :-)

That's really the whole *problem* with discussing
subjective experiences of enlightenment or the
enlightenment process -- they're subjective. They
are just the experiences that *one person* had with
the enlightenment process and, because others might
have *different* experiences, might not be "relatable
to" by others, much less be some kind of "roadmap"
for them.

It strikes me that describing one's personal exper-
iences of realization or enlightenment are a lot
like telling someone about the powerful dream you
had last night. You woke up from the dream still
reeling from the profundity it had for you; it was
a kind of revelation. And so you sit down over
coffee or tea with a friend and try to tell them
about the dream you are still so caught up in. The
problem is, when this happens you are often SO
caught up in it that you don't notice that your
friend's eyes glazed over after 20 seconds and
that they're sitting there politely pretending to
listen to you while really thinking, "When will
this END?"  :-)

To some extent, I perceive a similar problem when
it comes to trying to relate experiences of enlight-
enment to others. I've been around the spiritual
block enough to know that there are a HUGE variety
of experiences that people talk about and attach
the term "realization" or "enlightenment" to. Some
of them I can relate to my own experiences, some
I cannot. The ones I can relate to are at times
interesting and/or useful to me. The ones I can't
relate to in any way tend to make my eyes glaze
over. And I don't think I'm alone in this reaction.

I mean, if you were to be sat down over a cup of
coffee and tea and forced to listen to Shankara's
tales of his personal experiences with enlighten-
ment, they'd be kinda different than if Milarepa
had sat down opposite you. Or Chogyam Trungpa.
Or the Sixth Dalai Lama. Milarepa would be
"filtering" his subjective experiences of enlight-
enment through his personal history of being a
badass siddha and a murderer; Trungpa through his
personal history of being a womanizer and a drunk;
and the Sixth Dalai Lama just a womanizer and a
rebel who wanted no *part* of the role they'd
cast him in. Could you relate to their experiences,
if yours had been more along the lines of Shankara's,
or those of some other "sweet saint?"

And yet all of them *might* have been enlightened.

So now consider the problem of listening to the
descriptions of enlightenment across the Internet,
coming from people we've never even met. For all
I know, they *might* be enlightened. But if their
tales of *their* subjective experiences of the
enlightenment process don't "map" to mine, then
either the result is going to be boredom or a
sense of cognitive dissonance, not the imparting
of useful information.

Me, I'm comfortable with the idea that pretty much
everyone who has ever had the long-term experience
of realization or enlightenment has gotten there
their own Way, and that the subjective experience
of both the path that took them to where they had
always already been and what life looked like once
they got "there" could be completely different.
Given 100 enlightened beings, I would expect to
hear 100 *different* stories, 100 *different* sets
of experiences.

And yet, in tradition after tradition, in teacher
after teacher, the language they use when discussing
enlightenment to others tends to be along the same
lines as if they were discussing one of their dreams.
They merely assume that the way that *they* exper-
ienced things is the way that others will experience
them. They don't *understand* when the eyes of people
who have never experienced a "dark night" glaze over
when they start talking about theirs as if it's a
universal truth, a step that everyone has to go
through on the pathway to enlightenment.

It's as if in the early "excited, gotta tell every-
body" stages of realization or enlightenment, the
newness of the experience is still overwhelming for
the people trying to sit people down and lecture
them about "what it's like," just as it would be
if they were trying to relate a dream. They're still
so overwhelmed by their own experience that they
don't get that they're not conveying anything useful
or meaningful to the people they're lecturing to.

Maybe over time the enlightenment or realization
"settles in" and they can find some way of pointing
a finger at it that enables everyone who listens to
look in the same direction for what it's pointing
to. I hope so. But I sure know that attempts to
lecture the rest of us here on FFL about "what
enlightenment is like and what you have to look
forward to when you become as evolved as I am"
have often felt more like someone giving us
the finger.