I think I overstated Blake's point.  It often happens that movements become
rigid and doctrinal, as indeed happened with both the Shakers and some sects of
Quakers as well.

----- Original Message ----
From: dhamiltony2k5 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:44:48 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Spiritual Practice Since Blake

> > --- In FairfieldLife@ yahoogroups. com, "dhamiltony2k5"

> > <dhamiltony2k5@ > wrote:

> > > Spiritual Practice Since Blake:

> > > A lot of spiritual practice has gone on since Blake  & it has

> > > continued or ended in various ways  not absolutely stale,

> > > authoritarian and rigid.  There has been a progression which is

> in the American experience with it.

> Yogananda with SRF is a good example of how a group can survive the

> death of a founder.  Theirs is not unblemished in story; however,

> they are active and currently guided by a founding generation who

> knew the guru.

> SRF will likely be in transition again as an aging

> founding generation themselves pass things to a next generation who

> may not have known the guru personally at all.  That time in

> particular seems is really a point where groups are apt to become

> extra or ultra doctrinal and potentially splinter over doctrine.

> Generational moves from the shakti experience of the spiritual

> practice with the founder and the founding generation towards the

> next generation where the reference becomes the word of `what was

> said' and the doctrine of that as that word is re-read, re-played

>and

> re-told by a following generation.  It can become dead

>administration

> & and dead doctrine at that point as the shakti of a teaching is

> administratively let out.

Utopian spiritual practice in America is

filled repeatedly and sequentially with variations on this theme.

> -Doug in FF

Or, another example: the Society of  Believers… the Shakers lived as

spiritual practice ashrams with their at least twice-daily spiritual

practice of a sitting dhyanna  silent meditation (by community

ordinance) retiring to their rooms to sit upright in half hour silent

meditation, not reading, not talking, not sleeping not idling or

doing stuff otherwise; but, silent inner experience before then going

to group worship which included more meditation in group,  Was the

point of their community and industry, to have the time & the

material resource to do spiritual practice.

Their communities functioned well this way for this purpose

specifically for some decades after their founding guru, Mother Ann

and the shaker founding generation beyond their deaths.  Shakers

lived well as spiritual practice communities doing this specific

practice for some decades after the founding generation.

In time they went in to doctrinal spin with generational transition.

After some time they did away with the silent meditation as community

practice, and then did the shakti dwindle.  Shakers in time became

doctrinal as this all happened such that in their time they did not

survive the social and industrial change and circumstances then.

Their shakti experience of the spiritual practice that held them

together dwindled.  Times changed simply towards a form of a dying

hollow doctrine & work, work, work.  So people left seeking fortune

elsewhere, on their own hook.

Or, likewise again with the Quaker movement in American history.

Early founded on spiritual practice of group meditations, a silent

Patanjali-like practice on the discernment of bhuti and purusha

though using the nomenclature of the 17th Century.  They  became

doctrinal in generational sequence in other ways in the face of rapid

social changes of the 19th and 20th century.  They lasted about 300

years with shakti before evangelical doctrinism broadsided them in

the midst of the rapid social and economic changes of the 19th

century whence their spiritual practice got split off, plowed asunder

and over-run by doctrinal religionists.  So it went.

Yet even today within the Society of Friends (conservative) in the

middle of their form there is a spark of light to be found.

Likewise it seems in a sequence with European and American

transcendentalism of the 19th century.    Spiritual practice of

transcendentalism contending with doctrinal `mistake of the

intellect' religionism in sequence.  Seems though that about every

generation someone comes forward and re-lights the way.  Hence, in

sequence of spiritual progress a lot has happened since Wm. Blake.

& this progress is very much part of the American experience.

-Doug in FF

> > > According to William Blake, movements always end like this--

> stale,

> > authoritarian, rigid.

> > Differently, an exact opposite of this kind of stale doctrinal

fate

> > like of the TMmovement could be:

> > -J.Krishnamurti, 1929 Speech Dissolving his organization, post

7513

> > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/FairfieldL ife/message/ 7513

> > > For example, Yogananda's group SRF now seems to have survived

the

> > > death of their guru.  They do have enduring active spiritual

> > practice

> > > communities facilitating that work.  Again last summer they

> > gathered

> > > for an annual week `convocation' near LA for about 10 days of

> long

> > > group meditations with about 4000 people.  In their communities

> > they

> > > do regular long powerful group meditations as part of their

> ongoing

> > > spiritual practice.

> > > By a same kind of coin as with TM, it could be as easy to say

> that

> > so

> > > much of the `positivity' of late that the TMorg points to as

> > evidence

> > > is actually due to the SRF 4000 meditators in practice together

> > last

> > > summer.  The powerful lasting influence of a larger n=squared

> > number

> > > by contrast.   After all, exponentially 4000 powerful

> SRFmeditators

> > > sitting in practice is a lot more strong than 1700 sleeping TM-

> > sidhas

> > > in recline in group.   Sit with the shakti of a SRF group

> > meditation

> > > if you have not, to judge it.  They got shakti that is alive in

> > way

> > > that by contrast the TMmovement group meditations are only a

> > forlorn

> > > disheartened hope over what could have been with their

movement.

> > > -Doug in FF

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@ yahoogroups. com, Angela Mailander

> > stale,

> > > authoritarian, rigid.  They begin with fiery spirit and end in

> > > ashes.

children

it

> > has

> > > been amazing to see how it went down exactly like the man said

it

> > > would.

we

> > can

> > > realize that this is the natural process for any movement.

This

> > does

> > > not mean that there is anything wrong with the technique.

Failure

> > > Essay

<!--

#ygrp-mkp{
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
#ygrp-mkp #ads{
margin-bottom:10px;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad{
padding:0 0;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad a{
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
font-family:Arial;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}
#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;