BillyG. wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <wgm4u@> wrote:
>>
>>> "You must get to know the Mantra of your 'ISHTA' and the method of
>>> 'Dhyana' (meditation) thereof, through an experienced 'SATGURU' (True
>>> realized GURU) and somehow or other devote some time every day for
>>> Japa (repetition) of the 'Ishta Mantra' ..........."
>>>
>>> Credits to Paul Mason for post on TMfreeblog.
>>>
>> BillyG, there's a whole lot of beautiful stuff from Guru Dev at Paul's
>> website here: http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/gurudev.htm
>>

> Amazing how 'thirsty' we all are, still, for knowledge, even after 50
> years of MMY!!  It's refreshing to hear the unvarnished truth as
> expounded by Guru Dev; this science crap has got to go, yuck, gag me
> with a spoon! But sadly, it may be necessary in this age of kali-yuga
> ignorance!!
In his book "Meditation and Mantras" Swami Devananda on page 62 explains
by his tradition how a guru selects a ishta devata for a devotee.  Keep
in mind rules change from tradition to tradition and I also have some
tantra books that show how to select it from the astrological chart.
And in some traditions there are two levels of meditation: one for the
masses where "safe" mantras are used and one for "initiates" where the
guru mantra for the tradition is given.