Never was myself a TM teacher and personally I WAS interested in
MMY's commentary on the Gita and his SBAL - as an underlying
universal spiritual perspective to the practice of TM, but one which
was not forced down your throat (unless perhaps you became a
teacher?). Because of that it WAS OK to see the technique
independently, as a SECULAR procedure.

The fact that mantras were "sounds" of Hindu significance was to be
expected, given MMY's  cultural background, but there was nothing in
TM practice itself that resembled a religious practice - no required
articles of faith, moral commandments to follow, nothing that
resembled traditional prayer. OK certain behaviours were discouraged -
smoking, alcohol, drugs, consumption of meat etc. But these were on
grounds of health, for a more refined nervous system. MMY seemed
friendly in relating to people of different faiths and was not out to
alienate anyone from their beliefs. The SRM spiritualism was more
like a deeper common denominator between religions, but his SCI
orientation seemed an attempt to find an even more non-religious,
secular language, focusing on the scientific and social significance
of the practice.

The situation in the TMO now is COMPLETELY different. It no longer
is "engaging" with secular society or with other faiths. It has
become a shrinking enclave of fanatical practitioners, has rid itself
of more rational, dissenting insiders, and has become completely
Hindu in character. From a Western perspective it's now just a
peculiar cult. But maybe after MMY dies this more Vedic emphasis,
with its chanting pandits and Rajas in Hindu dress, might help
establish the Movement more widely in India itself.

But hoping to see it spread now in the West is as unlikely as the
West converting on mass to Islam..

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams"