I have never made any claims to having any special kind of
relationship with Maharishi. My experience was not much different
than anyone else's.  He was Guru, and best friend, and parents and
mysterious and inaccessible and intimate and totally accessible all
at the same time. He always inspired awe and respect and affection
even when he was being stern and disciplinary.

I met him for the first time on March 21 1975. He was in Ottawa
inaugurating the Dawn of the Age of Enlightenment. I had been
meditating for 2 1/2 years and was making arrangements to head to
Europe to become a teacher.  We were coming back to the Chateau
Laurier after lunch when a pale yellow Chevrolet Impala pulled up and
out popped Maharishi.  In one of the heaviest snowstorms the area had
had that year. He was wearing only his silk dhoti and shahtush
shawl.  We were shivering though we were dressed warmly ourselves.
He was smiling and happy and looked completely comfortable and warm
though the temperature was well below freezing.  We asked him if he
would like to have a coat and he said something to the effect that
our concern for him was the only coat he required.

I went on, later that same year to become a teacher and met him
personally again on the day he made us teachers.

One experience that I have I will carry with me to the end of my
days. I don't like to share it too much because it is a bit self
congratulatory in a way but it does show a bit how subtle he could be
in communicating with us.  I had returned to Europe from teaching in
India in 1982 and was living in a monastery on the Rhine River in
Germany.  A small group of us had been working on a project with
Maharishi and he had gotten into the habit of meeting with us
privately and telling us about his day; his work, who he had spoken
with, where he had gone or was going to be going etc.  One day he
disappeared.  No warning.  No meeting to let us know. Just gone.  I
was devastated but began to think about it.  My logic was that it was
done deliberately because he never did anything that was not
purposeful so I asked the others in the group what they were
thinking.  Why do you suppose he left without telling us when for
weeks and weeks now he hasn't done a thing without letting us know.
No one had anything more to suggest other than that he must have not
had time and had to leave before he could inform us.  I thought there
was more to it than that. My thinking was that if it was deliberate
then it must be that he wanted us to be devastated. He must have
wanted us to feel the grief of being without him. I thought this
purely on the basis of my own experience. That was and continued to
be my reaction while he was gone.

One evening several days later, I was down in the courtyard watching
the setting sun reflecting off of the Rhine. Everyone else was inside
watching a lecture I had seen already so I was alone. As i was
standing there, one of Maharishi's cars drove up and his cook popped
out. I greeted him not thinking anything of it all ( see how swift I
can be?).  hehehe.  Well within minutes the courtyard was filled with
people. I asked what are you all doing down here, you're supposed to
be watching a lecture. They said someone had seen Maharishi's cook
arrive. I said, yes, so what?  They said dummy, it means Maharishi
cannot be far behind. DOH!!!!  I still laugh thinking about it. At
that moment Maharishi's car pulled into the courtyard and there was
that immediate jockeying for position that accompanies his arrival
wherever he goes.  I am sure they are doing it now wherever he is.

One of the boys who was closest to the car opened the door and
Maharishi popped out.  Now for me this was the moment of truth. I
figured that if i had gotten it right, and that he had left us
without warning just to devastate us, then the first thing he would
want to know when he got back was how we were. Were we devastated or
not?

Well sure enough as soon as he got out of the car,  he looked around
at all of us,  about 300 people I think, and asked in his clear soft
voice,  'How you all are?'  I thought, BINGO!!!! well maybe not bingo
but at least i knew that i had read the situation correctly. The man
who opened the door was the first to answer and he said ' we are all
fine Maharishi' and i immediately thought, no, that's not true, some
of us have been devastated and Maharishi doesn't want us all to have
been fine with his leaving. It was immediately apparent that
Maharishi was not happy with the answer. Without acknowledging the
person who said we were fine he turned and started walking inside
without saying another word to anyone. I was a few feet away and as
he walked by I leaned forward and quietly said to him : "yes
maharishi,  but we are all much much better now".

He stopped in his tracks and turn full face on to me,  smiled bright
and long and poked his finger at my chest and tapped me 4 times
saying 'yes, yes, yes yes!!!!!!' one poke for each yes right on my
heart.  He then turned and walked inside and you could hear him
laughing all the way up the stairs.

After a few seconds one of his secretaries came running downstairs
and told us to all go to the lecture hall as Maharishi wanted to meet
with us.  The secretary said that he didn't know what caused the
change of heart as maharishi had made it clear after the first reply
that he didn't want to meet us but now he was really wanting to be
with us.  I can still hear those yeses ringing in my ears.

I know it is a small experience as far as experiences go with him but
it is the one my mind goes back to most often.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:14 PM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional