Judy you said "you always got your money's worth, as it were, from
doing good, in the form of feeling better (or less bad) about
yourself--there was always some reward, as you suggest, some element
of selfishness involved, no matter how profound one's capacity for
empathy."

Surely with altruism there is a polarity from the conscious,
calculated, devious intentionality on the one hand (I better do X so
as to benefit from Y) to the more spontaneous flow of good intentions
(X just is the appropriate thing to do, even if this means discomfort
or some personal sacrifice). The fact that the latter makes one
feel "good" does not invalidate altruism, surely.. The key point is
not that some "good feeling" reward contaminates the process but that
the good intention/action came NATURALLY, as an impulse (selfishness
is firstly an impulse which is then indulged in, in spite of our
better judgement).

Just a thought/reaction I thought I'd share. Not thoroughly thought
through, of course.. but something I've noticed within myself. What
one feels naturally, spontaneously that is "good" may well be
affected by all sorts of unconscious processes and defence mechanisms
which ultimitely might seem "selfish", but then it becomes
tautological - a denial of the possibility of goodness, just a world
view based on one permissable principle, of "badness"! It doesn't
have to be like that necessarily, in my view.. but the spontaneity
and naturalness of the emerging feeling is the key.