In 1957 Charan Das, originally an American, lived as
a sadhu in India for over twenty years. Cheerful and
without cares, he roamed the country for part of the
year, going from one holy place to the other, visiting
with brother-sadhus. He died a few years ago.

Excerpt:

I can't tell you how surprised and entertained I was
to read Anne Cushman's piece in Wanderlust about Charan
Das, the sadhu from Texas.

I too had several encounters with Charan Das over the
course of several years. I met him for the first time
in Delhi in early 1990 -- he was a friend of the man
I was then seeing, and he kept a supply of his books
in my friend's room while he was off wandering. Every
once in a while, he would turn up in Delhi and visit
my friend (and his books).

Read the whole article:
http://www.salon.com/letters/1998/04/07letters.html