Work in the context I used it was meant to be "to accomplish, achieve;
to cause, produce" NOT "To produce or cause by continued application of
physical [or mental] force".  Why was that not obvious? Am I being
unclear? If so, I apologize.

Therefore "achieve transcendence of thought" would be a way to say what
was intended--although I'm sure there's a way to semantically twist
that if that's the game you wish to play!