> On Apr 2, 2008, at 3:28 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > Well, the 2004 study  and its sister study on the same subjects was
> > done on people
> > reporting 24 hour a day witnessing for at least one year.
> > Obviously, since they are already
> > IN what the reserachers considered CC, expecting them to "enter it
> > at will" is a strange
> > concept.
>
> The key phrase here is "what the reserachers considered CC". The fact
> is, if they were actually in turiyatita, since they'd be in samadhi
> 24/7/365 all they need to do is demonstrate:
>
> --the ability to change states of consciousness at will

Yeah, the upanishads went into that in great detail as a requisite for the
state...

> --the ability to hear what is going on externally to the meditator,
> while EEG shows it's in deep sleep.

In fact, why would this be the case? One of hte indicators of sleep is that the
thalamus
shuts done connection to the outside world. Why would a condition (samadhi)
where the
brain reamins in a wakeful state while the thalamus shuts down connection to
both the
outside senses AND the inner sensory-feedback mechanism (thought) lead to some
change in sleep where suddenly the thalamus is no longer doing what it used to
do?

> etc.
>
> What we have here is simple 'sleight of hand'. They redefine CC from
> it's real yogic definition to what they think they can scrape up data
> for, dumbing it down and redefining it. This is an extremely
> deceitful and dishonest approach.

Perhaps it is dumbed down, but given it is what MMY said about the subject for
50 years,
its hardly redefining it in the TM researchers' minds. You're projecting a
great deal here, I
think.

> > Now, if you're looking for someone who shows breath suspension non-
> > stop for a full 20
> > minute meditation period, no-one has ever shown that in TM research.
>
> And I suspect, given the lack of the yogic methods to achieve that,
> we never will.

As I said, one woman in the Kesterson study (I think, =maybe one of the others)
was
shown to enter the state for a minute or so at a time, for a total of 60% of
the meditation
period.

> > The closest is a woman who learned TM about 50 years ago when she
> > was a kid (Helen
> > Olson I suspect) who showed breath suspension periods that in
> > total, lasted about 60
> > percent of a 10 minute meditation session, but they were only a
> > minute or so at a time.
>
> Yes, those examples were from the Olson daughter I am told by a
> friend of hers.

So you're aware of someone showing 60% of her time spent in the meditation
state and
you still say the above.

> >> That's not of course to say that TM isn't relaxing--it is. And
> >> relaxing is good for most people.
> >>

> > Tm isn't always relaxing.
>
> For me it was...other than some brief kundalini episodes.

You've lived a quiet life, I think.

Lawson