What a great piece of work by these physicists.  Thanks for posting
this, Claudio.

Here's what I got out of it -- from the following paragraph.

[begin excerpt]
Bouchaud and Mezard formulated a set of equations that could follow
wealth as it shifts from person to person, and as each person makes
random gains or losses from his or her investments. They also
included one further feature to reflect how the value of wealth is
relative. A poor single parent might face near-ruin over the loss of
a £20 note; in contrast, a very rich person wouldn't flinch after
losing a few thousand. In other words, the value of a little more or
less wealth depends on how much one already has. This implies that
when it comes to investing, wealthy people will tend to invest
proportionally more than the less wealthy.
[end excerpt]

People who want to make the leap have to suck it up and not flinch so
much (and I mean that in the nicest way).  There is a propensity that
I did NOT see covered in their analysis (maybe it's covered in a more
in-depth coverage, but not here), and that is the propensity to
clutch at what one has and not risk it.  The people who clutch the
most gain the least -- that's the way I read this study.  The lesson
is to very tightly draw your circle around your needful things, and
gamble the rest in the best way you can.

Having lots of "stuff" is the padded cell that a huge number of
people are willing to settle for.  I would love to see that study run
with a variable on the propensities to risk or clutch.

One effect of income redistribution is to take money from risktakers
and give it to hoarders, where it disappears into a dead end
economically speaking.

from Claudio's post: