TM is not the TM mantra, rather the results and anxiety
> relieving aspects of TM is from a combination of expectation of
> anxiety relief (coached belief) along with a routine of sitting
> quietly twice a day. Further research supports this conclusion.

I inclined to believe that any sort of sitting quietly if you get
proficient at it can give you a useful meditative state with regard to
alleviating anxiety.  I don't discount that positive expectation
factor, but it seems to me that some type of altered state is reached
with a TM mantra that is not all expectation induced.  (I don't know
if I could defend this belief so your point is very interesting)  I
guess I would have to read more about it.  I get such an expansive
buzz from meditation that I would be surprised if it was all due to
expectation.  Of course I have been wrong about all sorts of
meditation beliefs so I'm really not too sure.  It feels like such an
altered state subjectively but I guess it could be a very pleasant
form of smoke and mirrors.  I am still betting on the endorphin dump
model.  That is the best explanation to how high meditation gets me.