shempmcgurk wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I think you're wrong...the democrats want a 1cent increase in the
>> sales tax across the board, that affects everybody,and is bad for
>> business. We already have one of the highest sales tax across the
>>
> country.
>

> ...and your income tax rates aren't that pretty, either.
>
> This is the marginal tax rate that a single, self-employed taxpayer
> reaches once he has about $38,000 in taxable income:
>
> 25.0%       Marginal Federal Income tax
> 15.3%       Payroll tax (FICA)
> 08.0%       Marginal California Income tax
> -----
> 48.3%       TOTAL
>
> ...and I'm probably leaving out a few little taxes that you have
> which not living in California I am not aware of.
>
> Thus, BillyG, once earning a measly $38,000 (which isn't alot) a self-
> employed single taxpayer is essentially giving half of every dollar
> he earns at this point to various governments and he keeps half (and
> we haven't even factored in property taxes because property taxes
> aren't levied on income).
>
> Where is the incentive to work?

To eat?  To not live under a bridge?  Of course finding a job in
California is not an easy trick either.

There were proposals on the State Assembly floor to modestly increase
taxes on the rich and corporations.  The 1 cent sales tax increase has
been bandied about for a while.  I don't keep up that much on the
badminton games or the circus in Sacramento.

Someone making $38K a year in California would not be rich by any
means.  And self employed they can probably come up with enough
deductions to pay very little tax overall.