I'm still at the Budda Bar, still on my first drink,
still writing, and still with at least an hour left
on my battery. Life is good.

Across the street, life is good in another way. That's
where they have the stands set up for the wine tasting.
People are lined up to try the latest vintages from
the Garraf and the Penedes.

I love the way that wine is sold. If you love good wine,
you don't buy it because it has a fancy label or because
of the ads or because Cindy Crawford is the spokesmodel
in those ads. You go out to a winery or to a store that
cares as much about wine as you do, and you actually
taste the stuff.

If you're lucky, you wind up dealing with enthusiastic,
happy people who are really in love with the wine that
they grow and sell. They'd love for you to like it, too,
and hope that you will. But if you don't, they under-
stand, because in the world of wine there is no such
thing as "best," just The Wine You Prefer.

This is the way I think meditation should be taught.

No glitz, no glammer, no fancy label, no claims of
bestness, no expensive ads with Heather Graham in them.
You just hold talks and teach what you've got to offer
to all who attend. And you do it for free.

If you really love the technique of meditation or the
spiritual path that you have to offer to people, put
your ass (and its ass) on the line the way that vintners
do, and let people *taste* the damned product before
buying it. If they like it, they'll take what they've
learned home with them and imbibe it again. If they find
that the knowledge you gave to them for free brings some
benefit to their lives, they'll come back to you to find
out more. If not, you'll have done a nice thing anyway.

This is actually how meditation was taught in a few of
the spiritual organizations I\ve hung with. And it seemed
to work for them.

Who paid for it? For the posters and the ads and the cost
of the meeting rooms and the time spent teaching the classes?
We did, of course, "we" being the students of that partic-
ular spiritual path. We considered it selfless giving and
"paying it forward," because other students before us paid
for our first free talk and instruction session.

Call me an idealist, but I think that this is how teaching
meditation works best. Doing it free keeps all the money
crap out of the equation, and much of the ego crap as well.