> Well, no.
No it isn't an assumption it is just a lie as any honest reading of
the quote of Guru Dev makes clear that you couldn't possibly honestly
mistake it as applying to one woman only:

aum-kara ka japa
Repetition of the aum mantra

Many people have not done the work of consulting the Shastras in order
to determine what is authorised and what is not, they look here and
there and from this they understand what they should do to engage in
worship. Some people set great measure by the magnificence of the japa
of aum. In Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavan certainly said that I am the
pranava. But if the purpose is to attain Bhagavan's special form, then
why not use the method of grasping the lion as well, since he is also
that too? Bhagavan Shri Krishna Chandra said that:-

"mR^igaanaaM mR^igendro.ahaM" [Gita ch10 v30]

(Amongst beasts I am the lion).

What actually happens to those who proclaim the greatness of using
only aumkara ka japa, our experience up until recently we are
informing, listen; 2, 4, 10, 20 times constantly repeating aum then no
particular effect there will be. But if 2, 4 thousand unceasing
repetitions then in a short time [the connection with] the worldly
surrounding will become weak. Arsenic is a destroyer, but taking a
little then the effects will not be very rapid. If some excessive dose
is taken then it actually kills. Those who use the method alone of
aumkara ka japa taking it to be the special form find that their
worldly discipline certainly weakens; working and regular meals go
into decline; wife and son etc become unhealthy and also die.

Five, six years ago, we had gone to Lucknow for the occasion of Laksha
Chandi Yagya. On that occasion one old woman came to us and 2, 4
people came along also. These people did say that Mataji was a great
devotee, all day long she would remain in prayer and worship, but only
very recently her two sons who were in the prime of life had died.

To this we asked; "Were you practicing aumkara ka japa?"

She answered to Maharaj! The very same is our portion, all day long I
did do japa.

We said that; well done that for your samsara (worldly life) you have
dropped (aum) japa, at this moment do not renounce [the world].

However, by adherence to the practise something very excellent she
will destroy, right here is the effect of aumkara ke japa.

This then is done somewhere without love and if love's work is being
done then the meaning and the object of love will be be annihilated by
the influence of aumkara ka japa.

For this [reason] grihasthom (householders) are not authorised to do
aumkara ke japa alone. Shastra with a view to grant good fortune do
not give authority. If there was any benefit to be derived by
grihasthom by using aumkara japa there would be no reason for the
shastra to prohibit.

Mantras [sometimes] contain a mixture [of sounds including] aum that
are given for auspicious purposes. Another thing is this that women
are prohibited from practising japa with a aumkara-yukta mantra (a
mantra conjoined with aum). Wherever at the beginning there is the
purushha [male] mantra 'aum' then instead women should apply the sound
'shree' .

Bhagavan Shankar [Lord Shiva] giving instruction to Parvati on japa
explained that for women aumkara-sahita mantra ka japa [aum connected
mantra] can be like poison and for happiness they should only do japa
without aumkara. Due consideration should be given that Shankarji gave
this information to his own wife. If aumkara is beneficial for a woman
to do, why would he instruct his own wife against the practise?

['Shri Shankaracharya UpadeshAmrita' kaNa 73 of 108 >translation notes<]
translation - Premanand © 2005
As I reported here many months ago, someone had told me the