Inge, there are no householder mantras and no recluse mantras. These are TMO ideas. There are Shaiva mantras and Shakta mantras.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ingegerd
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 12:35 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: balancing techniques

I find it real peculiar that with the Householders Mantras, people
try to live in celebacy and be a recluse. It does not make sense to
me. If you meditate with a Householders Mantra, then you should be
very active in society, otherwise it will cause stress. In the
earlier days young people were practising Transcendental Meditation
for hours, dreaming of some life as a recluse in Himalayas. I knew
some of them - and some got very heavy mental problems and some did
suicide. We were not told the difference between Householders Mantras
and Mantras given for recluse life. The fact is that we were not told
anything at all. In 1962, I got the Mantra one day, and the teacher
checked the mantra the day after and then left. The next time I saw
her, was 20 years after. But most of us continued to meditate. That
was the days where we were allowed to practice long meditations - .I
once meditated in 12 hours - and came out quite dizzy, it was rather
dangerous. So in the beginning of the Movement it seems that MMY and
we were learning by doing. "The strongest survived."
Ingegerd

> Llundrub wrote:
>
> >Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: balancing techniques
> >

> >on 6/20/05 10:05 AM, Llundrub at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >

> >  Yes, just OM!
> >

> >So I wonder whether meditating on OM by itself might make one a
recluse while meditating with a longer mantra that contains OM might
not, as my friend suggested in the comment I posted here yesterday.

> >I have a basic problem with these generalizations based on
heresay.

> >For the basic reason that when I used to do TM at MIU I wanted to
be a recluse and escape from all the cares of the world, and that was
using my non-OM mantra. So I can only imagine if what Maharishi says
about OM is true that I would have probably wanted to run screaming
from samsara. Moreover, my desires had no support at MIU and I was
miserable.

> >So I ask, what is the real difference?
> >
> >My experience, which I consider to be the only important thing in
the world, confirms for me that the mantras which I have used since
TM, most of which contain OM as a part are extremely effective in
very vaulable ways, and they have only bettered my life.

> >When I used to do Mahalakshmi Sadhana I used two main mantras
which together are:
> >Om shrim klim mahalakshmiyei namaha Om shrim hrim shrim kamala
kamalalayei praseed praseed shrim hrim shrim om mahalakshmiyei
namaha.  Many Oms, I had much benefit from doing this 250,000 times.