My brother is a genealogy freak, and has long
been obsessed with tracking down our ancestors.
This has been complicated by the fact that our
father was adopted. He was literally found on
a doorstep in 1918, the year that the flu
pandemic that killed an estimated 100 million
people worldwide started, so we have assumed
for some time that his parents died in that
pandemic.

He was adopted by a Quaker family, but grew up
fairly irreligious, and passed that along to me.
So did my mother, who was a Presbyterian in name
only. She tried to send me to Sunday School, but
I was literally kicked out after a few weeks for
asking the Sunday School teacher where the woman
who supposedly married Cain in the Land of Nod
came from.

Anyway, my brother just got back from a field
trip to Philadelphia, where he tracked down adop-
tion and census records that hint that my father
was the son of US-born citizens (which spoils our
hopes of getting a "grandfather clause" EU nation
passport), but that *their* parents were most
likely from Russia, and spoke Yiddish.

So cool...I'm Jewish. Oy veh.

Not really, of course, since as I understand it
Jewish lineage is valid only if passed down matri-
linearly, but it's fun to play with a whole new
concept -- being at least partly descended from
Russian Jews.

Mix that in with the established Scot-Irish
heritage on my mother's side, and my gene pool is
kinda like the result of an unlikely ménage à trois
between Sean Connery and Maureen O'Hara and Golda
Meir. :-)