> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > "...he got some mental problems and because of that,
> > > the Purusha board wanted to sent him away."
>
> Yeah, that's how a civilized "ideal society" reacts to
> someone developing mental problems, all right.  Don't
> provide any real help for the person, send them away
> so that they aren't an embarrassment to the movement.

Just following up, and hoping to temper my comments
somewhat, what this sad story brings out in me is a
sense of profound sadness at the memories it brings
up in me of my time in the TM movement, and in another
spiritual trip.  It's been 25 years or more since I
had any real physical contact with the TMO, and 8 years
or so since I had much contact with anyone from the
Rama trip.  But both organizations had something in
common, something *lacking*, that I've become aware
of in the time since.  The thing that was lacking was
a sense of sangha -- community.

I'm rapping about it here to see if those who have
lived in Fairfield can shed a different, possibly more
positive light on the subject.  For me, in the fourteen
years I was involved in the TM community, it rarely
struck me as being that much of a community.  There
was shared knowledge, and shared techniques, and a
shared lifestyle, and a shared goal -- enlightenment.
With all those things going for it, it should have
logically been an environment in which people cared
about each other deeply, and were there to help one
another if they got into a spot of emotional trouble.

But it really wasn't like that, in my experience.  It
was more like one's fellow seekers were nice to have
around as long as they were "on the program."  The
"program" was more important than the people following
the program.

Go slightly "off" the program, and one learned *very*
quickly just where one stood within the sangha.  If
you expressed a few doubts, it started with shunning,
and could progress to apostasy and excommunication if
you didn't keep your mouth shut.  Start to develop
some emotional problems, and there was rarely anyone
you could turn to.  Not just no one to turn to for
help -- how many of us, after all, were trained *to*
help in such situations, but even to *talk* to.  It
was as if the people who had such problems ran into
the "we don't focus on negativity" wall of silence.

When the behavior or the doubts reached the point of
"excommunication," the apostates almost overnight
became "ex."  They were forgotten; it was if they had
never existed.  It was embarrassing to think about
them, because to think about them poked holes in the
oh-so-carefully-constructed myth, so no one ever did.
In retrospect, it was just the weirdest thing.

And it wasn't just TM.  Please don't interpret this
as a "dump on TM alone" rap.  I saw *exactly* the same
pattern in the Rama trip.  And I've encountered it in
other spiritual organizations since.

But I've also encountered the opposite, organizations
that embody a true sense of sangha, communities that
care very deeply about its members, and are there for
them if they get into trouble.  It's a wonderful thing
to see and feel and be around.  In such communities,
the myth of what the community is about is never more
important than the reality of what the community is
about.  There is rarely an attempt to hide behavior
that is considered "off the program" or "embarrassing."
There is almost never an attempt to shun or stigmatize
someone because they have a few doubts; in many of
these organizations, doubt is seen as an important part
of the spiritual process, something that *everyone*
goes through along the Way.  There is also rarely an
attempt to hide behavior that is considered "embarras-
sing," because there is no all-pervading image that
could be embarrassed.

So I guess I'm just asking how people at FFL feel about
this issue.  Was your experience in the TM community
like mine, or, as is likely, did the experience of
living in a physical community (like Fairfield) bring
real elements of "community" to the community?

Unc