> What interests me in a woman over her mid-forties
> is how well she "wears" it, and how comfortable
> she is with her real age. I would imagine that
> it's the same thing women find attractive (or
> unattractive) in older men.
>
> It's a great *gift* to no longer be able to rely
> on your looks. It forces you to rely on deeper
> things, and to develop them.

Since no one else seems to have considered this
subject interesting, and I do, I'll follow up
on it myself. :-)

Since my taste in women is often a subject of
prurient interest here, I thought I'd share with
you my recollections of one of the 5 or 6 most
beautiful women I've ever met. The recollection
is spurred by finding a Steichen photograph of
her as a young mother, breast-feeding her child,
in a book called "Family Of Man." I cut it out
of the book and had it framed and am taking it
tonight to my best friend, who introduced me to
the woman in the photograph 17 years ago. I think
it will please her, because she is about to have
her own first child.

The beautiful woman's name was Tasha Tudor. My
friend, who I had only recently met but with whom
I was already smitten, was staying for a time in
Tasha's house in Vermont, and invited me to come
up to visit her. When I did, and when I wandered
into the world of Tasha's hand-built house, and
her famous and hand-maintained gardens, and her
Corgis, I knew at first sight that I had met one
of the most beautiful women in the world.

Tasha was 76 at the time. She died in June, at 92.
Here's a bio of her, and a link to a tribute site
that has some photos of her, her house, and her
pretty much as she appeared when I met her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasha_tudor

http://blueberrycottage.blogspot.com/2008/06/farewell-to-tasha-tudor.html

Tasha called herself, proudly, an "old woman." She
*delighted* in being an old woman. She lived alone,
with the exception of her chickens and her goats
and her Corgis, most of the time, and living alone
had worn well on her. I remember at the time I met
her thinking, "I don't think I have ever in my entire
life met anyone more comfortable in their own skin
than this woman." By that time I had met Maharishi
and Rama - Frederick Lenz and a number of other
spiritual teachers. Since then I have met other
spiritual teachers. I stand on my first impression.

Tasha was active, she was mentally sharp as a tack
(don't think for a moment that I didn't have to endure
a bit of that sharp-as-a-tack mind since I was at her
house to court a young woman she felt protective of,
and who was twenty years younger than I was), and just
an utter delight. She wore every moment of her extra-
ordinary life in the lines on her face, and in her
bearing, and especially in her laugh. I guess I
"passed muster" as a suitor, because after a few
minutes' grilling and seeing how I handled being
handed a pail and being sent to milk the goats, she
warmed to me considerably. (I had never extracted
milk from anything in my life more complicated than
a milk carton; I can only imagine that she was highly
amused watching me give it my best shot.)

She was outspoken, she was outrageous, but most she
was grace personified. Watching her move about her
house and gardens was like watching a goddess dance.
She personifies for me someone who was "comfortable
with her real age." I can only hope to be as comfort-
able with my own if I ever reach her age. If I do,
and with a similar level of comfort, a lot of it will
be due to having had a remarkable role model to set
the bar for me.

When I think of Tasha I almost always think of an
early Bruce Cockburn song, written about his mother-
in-law. I think it describes the kind of beauty I'm
talking about better than I can:

She is passing in a warm breeze
Bars of light that cross the floor
One smoke-gray, curled, tiny feather