<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > Curtis, if you're going to paraphrase me, please try
> > to be accurate. I didn't "invite someone to believe"
> > anything. I suggested they leave their minds open a
> > crack to the possibility there were some insights
> > they hadn't grasped.
>
> I did try but I am open to correction to understand what you meant.
> I'm not sure I understand the distinction you are making here. We
> don't share the same perspective on how deep Maharishi's insights
> were. That may be why.
>

> > > Maharishi wasn't
> > > exactly presenting Hegelian philosophy.  He was
> > > extremely repetitive on very view, easily grasped
> > > points.
> >
> > I suggest you leave your mind open a crack as well
> > on this point.
>
> On me not understanding what Maharishi taught? Sorry but given my
> history with his teaching that is not an option.  To paraphrase a
> great quote from Guitar Slim, I studied his teaching so much it would
> make your ass hurt.  I'm very confident that I understood his POV to
> my own satisfaction.

> > > That's what I guess I don't understand, why are you
> > > making a special case for him?  Is he the only such
> > > special case?
> >
> > I don't know, most likely not. But his case is the only
> > one I'm talking about here.
>
> This is the interesting question for me:  How have you determined his
> uniqueness?
>

> >   I don't see any
> > > reason for someone who has spent some time with his
> > > 3 books and especially after meditating for a while
> > > to doubt their conclusions about his teaching based
> > > on how well they have understood it.
> >
> > Do you think someone who has spent some time with
> > three books about the Delta blues and has played
> > and/or listened to the music for a while can be
> > certain they understand it completely?
>
> Keith Richards said "To play this music you need three chords, two
> fingers and one asshole."  Understanding something "completely" may be
> as unrealistic as understanding it perfectly.  But I spent less than
> an hour with two groups of kids today and they understood the most
> important parts of the music to me when I was done.  It is actualizing
> it in performance that is the life long journey which might be a match
> for how you feel about meditation as a practice.  But the intellectual
> part is not so hard in either case.

> > > I guess we all put in the time we feel we need for
> > > any thinker and then come to  a conclusion.  I'm not
> > > sure "certainty" is the best goal for knowledge.
> >
> > No, neither am I. I don't think in some cases that
> > we can even be certain we've put in all the time we
> > need to come to a valid conclusion.
>
> I guess we each choose out battles here.  Valid enough for ourselves
> is probably the only thing possible.  But that is good enough to
> support a great life for me, and I suspect for you.
>

> > <snip>
> > > Maharishi was not the biggest intellectual even by
> [...]
I find it odd that I am assumed to be smug when all I say is that I
understand the theories and I don't agree.  Is not agreeing smug?  I
also find it frustrating when some TMers assume that my thinking is
flawed or I don't get certain metaphysical concepts.  No matter how
often I say I get it, they never will believe me because they cannot
conceive that I understand but simply do not agree.  The problem with
this is that it feels like I am being minimized, that my opinion and
feelings are not as valid as the believers' opinions and feelings.