On Dec 10, 2008, at 4:07 PM, ruthsimplicity wrote:

Thank you.  This was a nice post.  I think Knapp  does not believe
that TM is troublesome for most people but it can be for some
especially when people do a lot of rounding. I think that his concerns
relate more to the cultish relationship that some can have with the
TMO.  That does not seem to be an issue with the people who frequent
this forum.

Trance addiction is a well-known phenomenon, and not just in TM. It's acknowledged in Buddhist "transcending" style meditation as well. It's probably some kind of endorphin addiction that's common to thought- free states. IME that's why it's helpful to have a progression of stages in ones meditative practice just so these formless attachments, as they're called, don't end up hindering rather than helping one.

For that reason, I can see (perhaps) why Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's "TM 2.0" might be a much better implementation.