-Speaking of supporting Israel in their time of need, a great way is
to buy Israel Bonds:

http://www.israelbonds.com/israelbonds/HQ_CONTENTS/HQ_pages/home.aspx

 History
   About State of Israel Bonds
State of Israel Bonds has been, and continues to be, an integral
part of Israel's evolution into a modern, progressive nation. Joshua
Matza, an 18-year member of the Knesset and minister of health in
the government of Benjamin Netanyahu, has served as president and
CEO since 2002.

  Nation Building
The idea to float bonds was conceived by Prime Minister David Ben-
Gurion. His vision was two-fold: to secure crucial funding for
immigrant absorption and the construction of vital infrastructure;
and to engage Diaspora Jewry in the building and development of the
new Jewish state. Israel bond purchases now total more than $25
billion.

A Legacy of Achievement
Proceeds from the sale of Israel bonds are utilized by Israel's
Finance Ministry for key economic projects. Many of these projects
were essential to solidifying Israel's post-independence economy:
• The National Water Carrier
• The Dead Sea Works
• Port construction
• Alternative energy resources

  Looking to the Future
As Israel builds for new generations, it turns to the Israel Bonds
organization to assist in undertakings including:
• Development in the Galilee
• Reclamation of the Negev
• Expansion of transportation networks
• Enhancing export potential

-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...> wrote:

> What we are witnessing in Israel's deadly attack on Gaza today is
> really at the intersection of many different things.
>
> First, it is a particularly deadly campaign stunt. Israel's current
> government is led by the Kadima party. Kadima started out as the
> personal political vehicle of Ariel Sharon.
>
> Sharon was known as the Butcher of Beirut and was a notable hawk in
> Israeli politics. He eventually came to the view that the best way
> deal with the Palestinians was to wall them off from Israel and to
> forget about them. This walling off process necessarily entailed
> taking a fair amount of what little land remained to the
Palestinians.

> It says a lot about America's political elites and media that they
> considered these views not only moderate and reasonable but clear
> evidence that Sharon was a man of peace. It says even more about
> Israeli politics that Sharon's plan was criticized by his
country's right.

> This brings up my second point. Although it is hard to imagine,
> Israel's political leaders are even more intellectually and morally
> bankrupt than our own. After Sharon had a brain hemorrhage, most of
> Kadima's raison d'être disappeared but such was the dearth of
> leadership that it continued on as the principal party in Israeli
> politics.
>
> Sharon was replaced by Ehud Olmert. It was he who decided to
initiate
> the disastrous bombing campaign and invasion of Lebanon in July-
August
> 2006, which devastated that country to no purpose and led to
Israel's
> strategic and embarrassing defeat by Hezbollah.
>
> Yet despite widespread charges of incompetence, the absence of any
> saner alternative to Olmert allowed him to hold on to power for two
> more years until a long simmering corruption scandal finally
brought
> him down.
>
> With elections approaching, Kadima's principal rival was Likud's
> Benjamin Netanyahu, a well dressed Israeli fascist. As for the
Labor
> party, it is largely a spent force and was further weakened by its
> participation in inept coalition governments with Kadima.
>
> Israel's right which makes up most of the country's political
spectrum
> is a strange and deeply unsettling place seldom visited by American
> politicians and media precisely because of the great ugliness that
> resides there.
>
> It has a religious component which begins somewhere around Sarah
Palin
> and goes to places that we would think they were kidding except
they
> are not.
>
> It also has a neocon wing. Even Labor which is often thought of
> (mistakenly) as left of center on national security issues is
filled
> with them. Those in Kadima are, as Sharon was, even harder line.
>
> And then there is Likud and Benjamin Netanyahu even beyond them.
> Netanyahu does not see Palestinians as people but as enemies. He is
> not interested in peace but in defeating those he sees as his
enemies.
> His is a vision of endless war because the alternative for him
would
> be to actually acknowledge the rights of the Palestinian people but
> these he sees as an existential threat and is completely unwilling
> address them.
>
> With Netanyahu in power the likelihood of an Israeli attack on Iran
> would greatly increase as well. Since conventional forces would be
> ineffective, there is a real risk that such a strike would be
nuclear
> in nature. Now this may sound crazy, and it is, but as I said
before
> this is the nitty gritty of Israeli politics that our politicians
and
> media refuse to look at because it would be hard to defend even
for them.

> Kadima killed 155 Palestinians today to show to potential Likud
voters
> that they can be just as tough on the Palestinians as Likud.
>
> This wasn't a military strike about some inaccurate and largely
> ineffective missiles. It wasn't even about Hamas and its control of
> Gaza. This was, in fact, a murderous form of political advertizing
and
> electioneering.
>
> Third, this brutal and unnecessary attack raises larger issues.
There
> are always larger issues. The US financial meltdown as well as
fallout
> from the Madoff scandal will hamper traditional financial support
for
> Israel by Jewish Americans. Israel's own economy will likely be hit
> hard by the global recession.
>
> Given the kneejerk backing by our political elites, Israel should
> still receive its current support from the US government but this
will
> be insufficient to make up for the shortfalls in other areas. Less
> money means that divisions within Israeli society are likely to
> increase as various groups try to hold on to their pieces of a
> shrinking pie.
>
> One of the principal ways Israelis have managed to avoid dealing
with
> the issue of Palestine is because they have been largely insulated
> from the consequences of their policies there. They have lived in a
> bubble of prosperity. With the world recession this will become
> increasingly difficult for them to do.
>
> Today's attack also shows just how worthless Bush and Condoleezza
> Rice's policies with regard to Israel-Palestine have been. I have
> chronicled for years Rice's ridiculous and absurd announcements on
> talks for talks about talks to begin discussions leading to the
> creation of a framework to begin talks on by this point who knows
or
> cares.
>
> As for Bush his interest and effectiveness was made manifest in the
> November 2007 Annapolis peace conference. It lasted all of a day.
Bush
> showed up briefly to give a speech and even after being President
for
> 7 years still managed to mispronounce both the names of Olmert
(Ehud
> Elmo) and Mahmoud Abbas (Mahoomed Abbas). The problem is that our
> policies will remain heavily skewed toward Israel.
>
> Despite Israel having 200 nuclear weapons, Obama, Biden, and
Clinton
> have repeated their determination for the US to defend a country
that
> can defend itself.
>
> This is underlined by Obama's Middle East adviser Dennis Ross.
Ross is
> a Jewish American neocon with strong ties to both Israel and its
> lobbies in this country. It would be hard to imagine someone less
even
> handed than he. But that is another blind spot of our elites. They
> think he is. Yet can anyone imagine a similar acceptance of a
> Palestinian American if one held a similar position with Obama?
>
> This lack of balance has led along with Iraq to a loss of
credibility,
> loss of prestige, and general failure of policy in the region. The
> Israeli attack on Gaza was just another example of this.
>
> Finally, Israel's attack today shows again that the two state
solution
> is dead. Israel is in a classic colonizer's paradox.
>
> It would like to put in place a political and security structure in
> the territories it occupies, that it can deal with on its terms.
But
> for any political leaders and security forces to have any
legitimacy
> in the eyes of the subject population, they must be willing to
oppose
> the colonizer. As a result, the colonizing country always ends up
> destroying genuine homegrown leadership and is left with either a
> group of collaborationists with no credibility or an increasingly
> radicalized opposition --as each succeeding group of leaders is
done
> away with.
>
> Yet Israel has persisted in replaying this paradox over and over
again
> for decades. It has steadfastly refused to allow any distinct
> leadership to form in the Territories.
>
> At the same time, it is unclear if the Territories ever could have
> been economically and politically viable on their own but it is
> evident today that they are basket cases and that their viability
is
> now impossible.
>
> Beyond this are the demographics. Israel is effectively
incarcerating