On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM, bettyblue109 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> did your friends ever do PK in the past at the Raj? I had heard the
> Raj went "down hill" somewhat in quality and services over the past
> few years, did they notice that? I have not been in 5 years to the Raj
> for pk, but I am thinking about going for PK sometime in 09 and was
> curious if anything changed much there over the past 4 - 5 years,
>
> thanks much

I have never been to the Raj before except for an occasional lunch (I
can't stand those "look at me, I'm so special" RUs) and to buy herbs.
Previously I had my Ayurvedic consults on campus or with traveling
Trigunaji and his ilk.  My friends had not been to the Raj before
except for lunch as well.  My friends reported to me that they found
the Raj staff and those doing PK to be very intimate, friendly,
helpful, compassionate and caring.  They also observe as I have that
the Raj has some very lovely young ladies working there.  There were
no complaints and these guys are very observant and Lord knows people
on IA are often unstressing out of their gourd.  So it's not like
they've held anything back from me.  Now whether or not things have
gone down hill, well, none of us know.

I can tell you that most Europeans go to India for PK.  It's a bit
more spartan than the Raj but they get extra treatments in their
rooms, the staff is very helpful and weeks of PK can be gotten for the
price of a few days of PK at the Raj or Maharishi Ayurvedic facilities
in Europe.  If you'd like I can get you contact information on the
place in India the Europeans tend to go to.

I heard once again, this time from Mark Toomey, that I have the
constitution of a horse.  "Here are a list of changes in your diet you
might consider but God I wish I had your health".  Well, I follow the
Ayurveda that's convenient and feels good to me and the idea of
fasting, rice and dahl as anything but a side dish just doesn't appeal
to me.  So I didn't opt for PK and Mark Toomey didn't recommend it for
me.  Mark and I had an hour and a half plus consultation and we had a
really great chat.  He knows his stuff.  Knew the Ayurvedic properties
of every tropical fruit I get in Austin and Mexico, advised me on the
cooling properties of camel milk next time I go to Egypt.  He knew the
Ayurvedic properties of oysters, calms, crawfish, Maine versus
tropical lobsters, bay versus ocean scallops and the dozen different
kinds of sushi I mentioned to him. He's definitely worth a visit.

I can tell you that lunch at the Raj has definitely gone down in
quality.  There were fewer dishes and what there was was just
trenchered onto the steam table.  I was unhappy to have my special
order mango lassi made with canned mango puree when fresh mangos are
available at HyVee and Everybodys.  The food was much better 5 years
ago and definitely much better in the years before that.  If you
mention the Raj at HyVee or some other place of commerce in town
you'll always run into a non-RU who used to work at the Raj and is
willing to fill you in on what they did, saw and heard.  If it matters
to you, then I will tell you that most likely you will not receive PK
or food from all RUs.  RUs take the do less and accomplish more and
the this is not my Jyotish week too much to heart for them to be
prized as workers.  I can give you earfulls on this but if you've read
FFL a while you can figure it out yourself.