> > > How about "svaruupapratiSThaa of citi-shakti"?
> > >
> > > (puruSaartha-shuunyaanaaM guNaanaaM pratiprasavaH
> > > kaivalyaM *svaruupapratiSThaa vaa citi-shakter* iti.)
> >
> > What does this ^ translate to, cardemaister?
> >

> Taimni translates it like this: /Kaivalya/ is the state (of
> Enlightenment) following the re-mergence of the /guNas/ because
> of their becoming devoid of the object  of the /puruSa/.
> In this state
> the puruSa is established in his Real nature which is pure
> Consciousness. Finis [of Yoga-suutras].

Thanks. Maybe someday I'll be able to appreciate
the subtleties of the terms above, but these days
I define transcendence in a more boneheaded way:
awareness aware of itself, as opposed to aware of
thoughts or sense impressions.

I remember Bevan talking about kaivalya once in
1979 or 1980 at MIU, but the subject was never
pursued. Apparently people were not having
sufficient experiences to justify a further
investigation of the phenomenon.