> yeah but I never said what he is alluding to, that an absence of
> thoughts is indicative of a lack of progress during TM. I'm not
> sure where he got the idea, but it wasn't from me.
>
> In my reply above I was just agreeing with peter that I've not
heard
> MMY say anything regarding this either.

Nor have I.  I *have*, however, heard it from TMers
I was checking or working with at residence courses.
I've had meditators in checking express *concern* that
they're "transcending all the time...does this mean I'm
not releasing any stress?"  My original point was merely
that the strong TM dogma that thoughts mean that "some-
thing good is happening" *can* be interpreted by some
to mean that thoughts are actually to be desired in
meditation.

Some traditions don't believe this, that's all.  As
I originally said, they believe that whether or not
one experiences a lot of thoughts during meditation
is *completely* within the control of the meditator,
and since in their view samadhi is a potentially
more valuable way to spend one's time in meditation
than thoughts, why waste time in thought.

Unc