On Jun 27, 2005, at 11:37 AM, sparaig wrote:

>> Post hoc ergo propter hoc, no?
>

> The question would be: is MMY's translation ad hoc? If it is accurate,
> than the claim that "maya" is a buddhist invention seems strained...

Well I never said that it was "an invention". I merely pointed out that
Maya in Nagarjuna precedes Advaita Vedanta and is presented in the same
precise way.

I would argue that the idea of maya is quite old, as it can be found in
pre-Vedic Samkhya--in fact it is mentioned by that exact name in the
Samkhya-karika...