--In other words, mind is a secondary witness to Witnessing; a fact
even the Neo-Advaitins can't deny. (some mind-entity - illusory or
not - is making various claims).  What is the value of having those
experiences.?
If there is value in such experiences why aren't those
experiencing "It" shouting from the rooftops?

- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <reavisma...@...>
wrote:

> "I also acknowledge that I have an aspect of my mind that is an
> unchanging witness of my personality.  It is an artifact of
> consciousness and a part of being human if you choose to spend
enough
> time to notice it.  I'll even acknowledge that meditating helps you
> notice this aspect of your mind more clearly."
>
> **
>
> This quote (above), is what I'm interested in.  The assertion that
> the "unchanging witness" is an "aspect of the mind" and "an
artifact
> of consciousness", however, is still unsettled for me.  I can
> understand why you'd assert that, but I don't understand how you
> could support the assertion.
>
> And I'm not saying that you're wrong in the assertion, only that I
> don't know myself.  At some point, it became clear that awareness
> always is (and was), but somehow I hadn't noticed it "before".
> Meditation and other tools apparently assisted the discovery of
it.
> Awareness persisted in sleep and during episodes of unconsciousness
> resulting from injury or illness.  However, since at no time, did
the
> body fall away, there's no telling whether awareness persists or
not
> when the body dies.  (But it "feels" like it does.)
>
> It seems clear that the Eastern traditions and lineages have found
> the apparent persistence of awareness to have value, and have
> constructed some elaborate and some convincing arguments to support
> both the belief in its value and to stimulate individuals to gain
> that experience in their own lives.  Whether or not those
traditions
> have it right, or are merely touting an experience that feels good,
> or feels right, but doesn't have any larger, transpersonal value is
> still in question.
>
> For myself, I've taken the position that there's enough of value to
> continue to experiment with consciousness to get a clearer sense of
> what it all means.  Eastern traditions (including Maharishi's),
> mystical philosophies, and the many insightful posts on FFL have
been
> excellent adjuncts to that continued exploration.
>
> Thanks, Curtis.
>
> Marek
>
> **

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> >  "Identity is non-physical"
> > > with the intent to reach a deeper clarity about it?  Or do you
> think
> > > I'm just slinging Advaita shit that can safely be dismissed?
Does
> ya
> > > got twelve in the juryroom still?
> >
> > My identity is not physical.  It is tied to the physical so that
> when
> > the physical becomes worm food I have a suspicion that I'm not
going
> > to be able to remember the Brazilian Samba chords I learned on my
> > guitar this morning. I can't even maintain consciousness when a
> doctor
> > pumps a white liquid into my veins for a little fireside chat
with
> the
> > interior of my colon.
> >
> > I also acknowledge that I have an aspect of my mind that is an
> > unchanging witness of my personality.  It is an artifact of
> > consciousness and a part of being human if you choose to spend
> enough
> > time to notice it.  I'll even acknowledge that meditating helps
you
> > notice this aspect of your mind more clearly.
> >
> > But making a case for it being the transpersonal basis for all
> > creation is just imposing a religious assertion on top of it.  It
is
> > making a bigger deal about it than I think it deserves.  But I
could
> > be wrong.  But so far all the magical stuff claimed about this
state
> > of mind has not shown up.  Has it?  Maharishi was a charismatic
> > interesting guy and all but he didn't show up as having special
> powers
> > to me, beyond what an eccentric relentless self promoter like
Donald