--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, grate.swan <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@> wrote:
> > I'd be a fool to reduce my conceptual understanding of him
> > to some sort of un-enlightened con artist.
>
> I am not attempting to be argumentative or challenging, nor do
> I have an agenda regarding the Maharishi. I am simply curious
> (a statement that can stand alone and perhaps describes me well.)
>
> Reversing Byron Katie, what if that were true. Would that change
> your life?

May I use one of my last two posts of the week
to suggest that it's really good to have your
balanced voice here on FFL? This post and your
suggestion about the enduring worth of an "IA
buzz" are classics -- both of brevity and insight.

Interestingly, the two "issues" that you address
in these two posts are -- to me -- the same. How
do people *react* when something that they believe
is challenged?

The Byron Katie technique is brilliant for deter-
mining the bottom line of such a challenge. "What
would change about my life if I chose to believe
this thing that is contradictory to what I believe
today?"

In one case, if you are convinced that your views
are not racist, but pretty much everyone around you
thinks they are, what could change is the sense of
complacency you havve *about* those views. An oppor-
tunity could be seen to LEARN SOMETHING NEW,
and move forward in life unencumbered with beliefs
that have been shown to be less than productive.

In the other case, if you are convinced that someone
who "added value" to your life was enlightened and
then you find out that he possibly wasn't, *what
changes* about the "value?" Even if it turned out
that the person who added value really *was* "only
in it for the money," if you perceived value in what
you *got* for the money, where's the issue?

I think that your mention of the Byron Katie tech-
nique is timely, in that I've been seeing the ill
effects of *not* using it lately. In two recent
cases -- Edg and L.Shaddai -- the person being told
something that challenged something they believe
about themselves reacted 1) emotionally rather than
rationally, and 2) by "excommunicating" the person
who had dared to suggest something to them that was
contrary to what they believed about themselves.

Dr. Pete, above, certainly did not do that. I suspect
that he's able to flow with the winds of change well
enough that if he found something that convinced him
once and for all that Maharishi *was* an unenlightened
con man, he'd be cool enough to love him anyway, *for
the value he added to his life*, con man or not.

The same thing *could* have been true with discovering
that one has a racist streak that needs some work, or
with discovering that one had (again) reacted emotionally
to something that pushed his buttons, by reading things
into the button-pushing that weren't there. The person
being presented with something that challenged their
current view *could* have perceived in the challenge a
way to change, and a way to LEARN SOMETHING NEW,
and move forward in life unencumbered with beliefs that
have been shown to be less than productive.

Instead, they chose to "wall out" the challenging infor-
mation, and the challenger, and thus STAY THE SAME.

Seems to me that the Byron Katie technique you remind
us of is one of the keys to being able to change and
grow, whereas the tendency we see so often here to reject
the challenge (and often the challenger) because it
"threatens" change is an attempt to STAY THE SAME.

I guess some people *like* staying the same, and never
growing or changing. That must explain why they so
seldom seem to.