--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ya - no brainer lets be like the Dutch. They're so happy that they
have one of the highest suicide rates in the world,

Actually, male suicide rates are higher in the US (and US has much
higher male homicide rates). Female suicide rates about 1/4 of those
of male in both countries, is slightly higher in the Netherlands
relative to the US. Overall rates are higher in US.
http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suiciderates/en/

> and they're so productive that they have one of the lowest GNPs in
the world

> Well, not really. 17th. And 7 or so of the countries above them are
tiny -- So they are in top 10 of countries of "size". About the same
level as Canada. Higher than France, Germany, Spain, Austraila,
Greece, Portugal, Singapore, Taiwan, italy, Greece, Korea ...
http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/infopays/rank/PNBH2.html

>for their size mostly because their taxation rate is over 50%

Corporate tax rate is 35%, about average, internationally. Lower than
France and Germany.

Marginal individual tax rates are 60%, high for my taste, but similar
to France, Germany, Sweeden, etc. And remember thats the top marginal
rate, which only applies to some upper level of income. Its NOT the
average rate. Average rates are quite below 50% (your figure). Their
marginal rate compares to US 35%, previously 39.5% marginal rate. But
with state taxes that can be close to 45% now (50% a pre Bush).  But
Netherlands has no capital gains tax. And their social service levels
are much higher, including health care. And so depending on mix of
income to investments, taking indo account US state taxes, and health
individually paid health costs, the total tax rates may not be much
higher than in US.
http://www.accf.org/publications/reports/sr-intcomparisoncap1998.html

>and about 1/3 of their population is on the dole.

That would imply a 30+% unemployment rate. That certainly is not correct.

> Their red-light district is a world-famous haven for drugs of all kinds

Actually, they are quite harsh on harder drugs. They made the policy
decision to be lax on pot and strict on heroin etc.

as well as prostitution

Um well what would you expect in a red light district? Prosititution
is rampant in the US too. Only its called "Escort Services". At least
in Amsterdam, the girls are all tested for diseases once a week, and
their is no pimp abuse, or john abuse of working girls. And much less
stigma to working in the worlds oldest profession.

>including child-prostitution

per yor experience?

>So ya let's take a lesson frm the Dutch - good times!

Yeah, they have some good things to teach us, per unc's stats.

So Mark, you are the one who appears to be smoking pot, or is it just
because your head is up your ass. :)

Service.