--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, ruthsimplicity <no_re...@...>
wrote:
<snip>
> Vaj, I take it that you are saying that MMY is
> not a Yogi under the applicable traditions.  I
> don't think anyone really disputes that.

Nobody disputes that this is what Vaj says, no.
Some of us think it's absurd to take what he says
as gospel, however.

> One of the few things that does not bother me
> about MMY is the breaking from tradition, going
> from being a secretary to a teacher. If someone
> feels that they have something of value to teach,
> fine by me, even if they are not in the right
> caste or do not have the right background.

Excellent. Vaj disagrees with you.

  However, it is of relevance in evaluating his
> educational background on topics where he professed
> knowledge, such as asanas

He didn't "profess knowledge of asanas" at the time
Vaj was referring to. The whole bit about the gym
teacher is one of Vaj's many big fat red herrings.

 or the siddhis or vedic science.

> I have never been clear on how he came up with
> transcendental meditation, i.e., the routine and
> the mantras.  What did he say about it?

The introductory essay by Larry Domash to the first
volume of the Collected Papers relates what MMY
wanted on the record about how he came up with the
"routine." (The mantras, of course, are standard
bija mantras; no big mystery about them.)

Here's the first half of the essay as posted back
in the 1990s on alt.meditation.transcendental:

http://tinyurl.com/34zns4

The whole thing is interesting reading, but if you
want to get quickly to the part I mentioned, search
for the phrase "unusually talented student" and
start reading there.