--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, I am the eternal
<l.shad...@...> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:01 PM, off_world_beings
> <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "yateendrajee" <mcintosh@>
wrote:

> >> PDF's of old yearbooks are available at the MUM website. Might be
> >> helpful for group participants to point themselves out, and/or
refresh
> >> their memories about classmates. I've been having a misty-eyed
time
> >> looking at those dear people!
> >>
> >> http://www.mum.edu/yearbooks.html
> >>
> >> Cameron McIntosh
> >> Student '77-79
> >>

> > What is it with the MUM website?....it never loads.
> >
> > OffWorld
>
> There's a bunch of javascript that wants to load up for the
animation.

> What I wonder is where do they get the models?  The CVs I viewed
last
> week were all of Nigerians and Ethiopians as are the (male) dorms
when
> I go into them.  Is there some special editing going on here to
> misrepresent makup of the student body?

********

Most of the Nigerians and Ethiopians are enrolled in the grad acct
and compsci programs -- they only spend a couple months on campus, as
compared to the regular students who are there for years to get their
degrees without completing distance course work while working. Also,
as noted in the MUM Review below, the number of people being admitted
into the professionals programs is way down, because MUM knows it
can't find jobs for them (the students are off the hook for tuition
payments, permanently, if MUM does not place them in jobs, which pay
at market rates, by the way).

http://www.mum.edu/TheReview/#2

New Undergraduate Enrollment Surges Spring Semester

A total of 66 new undergraduate students arrived on campus last
month, marking an unusually large spring entry — and a 113% increase
over last year's spring entry of undergrads.

Also enrolling in January were 29 new graduate students in standard
programs, which represents a 107% increase over spring enrollment a
year ago.

While enrollment in standard programs has increased, the number of
students enrolling in the professionals programs has decreased.

This semester the Accounting M.B.A. limited their acceptances to 35
because of the state of the U.S. economy and the job market. And the
Computer Professionals Program enrolled 46 students earlier this
month. Students in these programs spend six to eight months on campus
and then are placed in paid practicum positions while they finish
their degree.

As usual, the new computer and accounting students come from around
the world, including more from the Middle East than usual, with
students coming from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Egypt. And as usual,
there are a large number of new students from Ethiopia. Other
countries represented include Cambodia, Cameroon, China, Colombia,
Eritrea, Ghana, India, Mongolia, Nepal, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri
Lanka, Tanzania, and Vietnam.

Overall enrollment, including students finishing their degrees via
distance education and those enrolled in China, totals nearly 1,200,
with 566 being on-campus students.