--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> I don't know Turq, so far I've watched only a half hour of it.
> Very bad arc, the episode didn't draw me in at all. Mainly a
> chic flic I guess.

That may be true. I have been honest from
the start in admitting that I am "reading
in" a lot into this new Joss Whedon series,
because I like Joss Whedon.

On the other hand, I really *like* "chick
flicks" if they are done well. They reveal
a point of view that is useful to learn
from, even when they were written by men.
Take "Sex and the City," for example. Chick
flick TV series to the max. Written for TV
almost entirely by men. Go figure.

Take "When Harry Met Sally," written by a
woman, but *in conjunction with* Rob Reiner
and Billy Crystal and all of the other men
on the set. They used to sit around and
jackpot ideas past each other, based on
their respective different points of view,
and many of those points of view made it
into the final shooting script. I give all
the credit for this to Nora Ephron, for being
not only a wonderful writer with a strong
point of view, but also a wonderful human
being with an openness to *other* points
of view. Would the dialog in the batting
cage have come from Nora Ephron? Of course
not. It's a purely "guy thang." But was it
*relevant* to the "chick flick" Nora was
writing? You betcha. So it made it into the
movie. That's my definition of an artist.

> Eliza has told the critics to hold out for episode 6
> where Joss's episodes begin.

This is interesting information. I know from
the few "fansites" I have ventured into that
FOX has "edit control" on the first five
episodes. Being the network that is risking
its financial bottom line by airing this series,
they have the right to demand that Joss rewrite
these first five episodes if they don't match
what they thought they were paying for when
they first heard his pitch.

And that's cool. I completely *understand* the
dynamic of "market forces." "Dollhouse* does
NOT have a universal appeal. It's OUT THERE.
It's a VERY "conceptual" series.

In other words, what it is about is not what
it's about on the surface. It's in the class
of other great TV series as "Deadwood" and
"John From Cincinatti." It's about what lurks
"beneath the surface," for those who see it
there, or (and I admit this fully) who only
imagine that they see it there.

Joss Whedon may have NONE of the philosophical
themes I see in his series in mind when writing
it. Then again, given his history and some of
the things he has said in interviews, he might.

I don't care. I have fun seeing in his series
the things I see in it. They might NOT have
been intended by him. He might never have even
*conceived* of some of the things I see in his
series. But seeing them there makes me smile.

Why I think I can get away with seeing them
there is that I don't claim that they are
"really there." It's not as if I am watching
a silly TV series full of babalicious fembots
and declaring them Dakinis. I don't feel that
Joss' silly TV series is on the level of the
"Vedic literature," and thus imbued with
Eternal Wisdom.

It's just that I can amuse myself by seeing
Eternal Wisdom *IN* his silly TV series, even
if just for an hour a week. It might not be
there. But it makes me smile to think it is,
for an hour a week.

> Liza Lapira (Ivy) can be quite funny.  She was great
> in "Huff" as Maggie the secretary for the Oliver Platt
> character and had a small roll on this last season of
> Dexter.  Apparently this is the only episode she
> is in.

Was she the Asian apprentice to the Meganerd
in the series, Topher?

Great character. I wanted *instantly* to see
more of her. She's my favorite babe of the
series so far, the only one I'd have asked
out.