Re: Amrit Desai and Kripalu Center.

Our ashram (about which serious ethical questions regarding the leadership were
raised) had a kind of informal friendship with the Kripalu Center (Amrit
Desai's former group), so I studied its recovery with interest. I felt very
happy about how much better the Kripalu resolved the crisis than about how we
basically avoided ours, but am uncomfortable that Amrit Desai continued in the
guru business.

One thing which troubles me is how gurus, after they've been "busted" (for acts
of hypocrisy) often eventually become gurus again without mentioning anything
about their past mistakes. Amrit Desai's new website:

http://www.amrityoga.com/

...offers (so far as I can tell) no narration of his shady past (although
Kripalu Center is mentioned) which included unhappy episodes of a sexual nature.

While it is very understandable that he doesn't want people to know about his
past mistakes, I would prefer that prospective students be able to judge the
background themselves, to help balance their possibly very positive emotional
response to the ashram environment.

In many areas of civic life, government requires that fiduciaries provide
disclosure of risks their clients are subject to. In many areas of the country,
the whereabouts of sexual predators are disclosed to the community. How about
some disclosure requirements for gurus?

Cam

Over the years since, the community has rebuilt itself,