--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shukra69" <shukr...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> Even the current Pope gave his blessing while he was
> Cardinal Ratzinger, and he is a very much a conservative.

Er, no, he didn't. From 1989:

Vatican Warns About Zen, Yoga

VATICAN CITY (AP) - The Vatican Thursday cautioned
Roman Catholics that Eastern meditation practices such
as Zen and yoga can "degenerate into a cult of the
body" that debases Christian prayer.

"The love of God, the sole object of Christian
contemplation, is a reality which cannot be `mastered'
by any method or technique," said a document issued by
the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

The document, approved by Pope John Paul II and
addressed to bishops, said attempts to combine
Christian meditation with Eastern techniques were
fraught with danger although they can have positive
uses.

The 23-page document, signed by the West German
congregation head Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, was
believed the first time the Vatican sought to respond
to the pull of Eastern religious practices.

Ratzinger told a news conference that the document was
not condemning Eastern meditation practices, but was
elaborating on guidelines for proper Christian prayer.

By Eastern methods, the document said, it was referring
to practices inspired by Hinduism and Buddhism such as
Zen, Transcendental Meditation and yoga, which [may]
involve prescribed postures and controlled breathing.

Some Christians, "caught up in the movement toward
openness and exchanges between various religions and
cultures, are of the opinion that their prayer has much
to gain from these methods," the document said.

But, it said, such practices "can degenerate into a
cult of the body and can lead surreptitiously to
considering all bodily sensations as spiritual
experiences."

The document defined Christian prayer as a "personal,
intimate and profound dialogue between man and God."

Such prayer "flees from impersonal techniques or from
concentrating on oneself, which can create a kind of
rut, imprisoning the person praying in a spiritual
privatism."

Attempts to combine Christian and non-Christian
meditation are "not free from dangers and errors," the
document said.

It expressed particular concern over misconceptions
about body postures in meditation.

"Some physical exercises automatically produce a feeling
of quiet and relaxation, pleasing sensations, perhaps
even phenomena of light and of warmth, which resemble
spiritual well-being. To take such feelings for the
authentic consolations of the Holy Spirit would be a
totally erroneous way of conceiving the spiritual life.

"Giving them a symbolic significance typical of the
mystical experience, when the moral condition of the
person concerned does not correspond to such an
experience, would represent a kind of mental
schizophrenia which could also lead to psychic
disturbance and, at times, to moral deviations."

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith is the
Vatican's watchdog body for doctrinal orthodoxy. The
document did not name any particular individuals,
groups or religious movements that have strayed in the
use of Eastern meditation practices but the congregation
often acts in response to complaints.

AP-NY-12-14-89 0937EST
(C) Copyright 1989, Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.

The AP story provides only selected quotes, some of
which have almost nothing to do with TM, from the much
longer document. The whole letter was reproduced on
alt.m.t awhile back, in two parts (with commentary by
a Catholic who was in agreement with it):

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.meditation.transcendental/msg/7684e5f6c2949d18

http://tinyurl.com/d68jj9

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.meditation.transcendental/msg/c1c50a7ebe3d826e

http://tinyurl.com/cqnkoy

(NOTE TO BARRY: Google Groups Advanced Search is
working perfectly today, and without any alteration
in how I used it from last week, when it was not
working.)