Does it upset you when you are a guest at a sumptuous meal and the host offers
grace before the meal. I may be shallow, but I focus on  the meal and not on my
hosts particular beliefs or traditions. And I don't somehow feel tainted or
duped.

Thanksgiving. Is that a religious holiday? Am I being secretly taught a
religion if I take the holiday off, and eat a thanksgiving meal?  Who were the
pilgrims offering thanks to? Oh my God! It was God! Run!

Curtis doesn't like me to equate the fruit of meditation with actual fruit. And
I am sure I am transgressing his beliefs with my meal analogy. But to me, it
fits quite well. I am getting something quite secular -- a meal -- a useful
meditation technique -- at the HUGE cost of listening to someone give thanks
prior to the "meal". I don't get the outrage.

I practiced TM for some time. I don't know much about Hinduism. My Indian
friends sort of tolerate my delusion that somehow I have something in common
with them and their religion. But I can't be a Hindu in traditional Hinduism.
White boys not allowed. So why would another white boy or worse white girl --
who can never be a hindu, teaching something to another white boy who can never
be a hindu, somehow make teaching TM a religion.

And don't even get me started on Christmas or Easter. If schools give these as
holidays, aren't they complicit in some great religious conspiracy to dupe our
poor cloistered youth? These holidays  CLEARLY have religious roots.

No more Easter egg hunts on the White House lawn. Clearly a violation of church
and state. Not only that, it has roots in pagan religions! Pagan! As do
Christmas trees. No more lighting of the Christmas tree on TV at Rokerfella
square or the White House.

And the damn World Series. Those religious nut players actually give thanks to
GOD before the game. The horror! Our poor kids!  Getting duped again by the
omnipresent religious conspiracy.

(I know you did not explicitly bring up some the points I am riffing on. )