--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Vaj wrote: I don't think most TM'ers or most meditators in any group have
> been able to achieve the 'breathless' state which is indicative of Samadhi.
>

> Vaj,
>
> Define "breathless."  Seems to me that living is living, and that means some
> use of ATP at the least.
>
> I'm guessing that "suspension of breath" merely means that the level of
> bodily excitation is so low that oxygen is not being removed from the
> bloodstream fast enough to justify inhalation "for the nonce." The body will
> take another breath when it needs to.
>
> I personally love the concept of the bricked-up-in-a-cave yogi who is only
> hanging out "by a thread."  But, however slowly it may be, the yogi is still
> processing and using oxygen.
>
> I like your stages of consciousness concepts, because I can, as if, see the
> rate-of-oxidation spectrum they comprise.
>
> But, is that the whole truth?  Do you think there's some sort of miraculous
> oxygenless format of some stage of consciousness that would be eternal --
> that is, the bricked yogi never takes another breath?
>
> Does God breathe astral oxygen?  Does prana have any utility in Vicuntha?
>
> Edg

My understanding of the "breathless" state is that there is no breathing at
all.  Of course, this cannot continue indefinitely as you would die.

I think it was David Blane (not sure on spelling), the magician, ( who seems to
me to be someone who has remarkable control over the body) who managed to hold
his breath underwater for 17 minutes or thereabouts. .  Divers and yogis use
certain techniques to increase the ability to breath hold. Practice.  And then
before a big breath hold, first you do a slow and steady filling of the lungs,
then exhalations to purge CO2 and then a final series of quick gulps of air.

Most people can learn to hold their breath for 2 or 3 minutes pretty easily,
but you shouldn't if you have ventricular abnormalities.