On Jun 16, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...> wrote:

On Jun 16, 2009, at 4:08 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:

IMO, raw foodists do make some pretty yummy stuff, and raw fruits
and veggies do make up a significant part of my diet, but I can't be
bothered to make all sorts of elaborate dishes with a dehydrator.
The raw foods I eat are fruit and salads. Mostly I'm just turned off by the cultish fanaticism of raw foodism. That said, I think some of
Fairfield's obese vegans would benefit tremendously by switching
from cooked starches to raw fruits and veggies.

Obese vegans?

Sure. Eat a hypercaloric diet of grains and beans like a feedlot animal, and you get a body like a feedlot animal.

Well, I'm not exactly an expert on obesity,
but do you think it's  likely--if you really
do mean obese--that they're being completely
honest about their veganism?  Maybe I
simply lack imagination, but I just can't
bring myself to see how someone could
get morbidly obese *totally* avoiding things
like butter, ice cream, etc.

In fact, after thinking about this for a while,
I can't even see fat on a diet like that--maybe
a little plump--or zaftig as we say in French--but
that's about it.  To be anytihng else on such a
spartan diet would almost mean literally eating
all the time, which nobody does.  In fact, for
most obese people, at least the ones I've known,
it's usually just the opposite--sneak eating when
they can get away with it.

Sal